Have you ever had real gingerbread? This is a spiced molasses cake that encompasses all the flavors of fall and winter – delicious!
Difficulty: Level 1 (easy peasy)
Hands On Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 8-10
I feel like this is one of those things that flies under the radar during the holidays. I mean, we have gingerbread houses, gingerbread men, and gingerbread cookies. But have you ever wondered about regular old gingerbread?
I’ll tell you, it’s right here. You need to look no further. Oh I can practically smell it through my screen…Your whole house will smell magically of the the holidays as it’s cooking. It’s perfect. Especially if you top it off with a fresh dollop of whipped cream! Nothing beats home made whipped cream. You can also try it with this 5 minute Pumpkin Whipped Cream! This is also best served warm, then the whipped cream gets kind of melty all over it and it’s just a hot mess.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup molasses
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt together the butter, molasses and water. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves and pumpkin pie spice. Give it a stir or two.
- Mix in the egg and milk and stir.
- Slowly add in the molasses mixture and stir until everything is combined (batter will be very liquidy).
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch round pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan, slice and serve with fresh whipped cream.
Did you like this post? Join The DIY Foodie and many others in their journey of learning how to cook! We are excited to have you.
Success! Check your email now to confirm your subscription.