Have you ever had real gingerbread? This is a spiced molasses cake that encompasses all the flavors of fall and winter – delicious!
Difficulty: Level 1 (easy peasy)
Hands On Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 8-10
I feel like this is one of those things that flies under the radar during the holidays. I mean, we have gingerbread houses, gingerbread men, and gingerbread cookies. But have you ever wondered about regular old gingerbread?
I’ll tell you, it’s right here. You need to look no further. Oh I can practically smell it through my screen…Your whole house will smell magically of the the holidays as it’s cooking. It’s perfect. Especially if you top it off with a fresh dollop of whipped cream! Nothing beats home made whipped cream. You can also try it with this 5 minute Pumpkin Whipped Cream! This is also best served warm, then the whipped cream gets kind of melty all over it and it’s just a hot mess.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup molasses
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt together the butter, molasses and water. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves and pumpkin pie spice. Give it a stir or two.
- Mix in the egg and milk and stir.
- Slowly add in the molasses mixture and stir until everything is combined (batter will be very liquidy).
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch round pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan, slice and serve with fresh whipped cream.