Thank you to Omaha Steaks for providing these giant chocolate chip cookies (yes, they have cookies!), and sponsoring this post. It was only natural to make them into ice cream sandwiches.
Difficulty: Level 2 (totally doable)
Hands On Time: 20 minutes Freeze Time: 60 minutes Total Time: 80 minutes Servings: 4 giant sandwiches
One day this month I received a glorious box of giant (and I mean giant) chocolate chip cookies. That might have been the best mail delivery I have ever gotten. As I was staring at these giant chocolate chip cookies, I could only think of one thing. Giant chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches.
I figured they would be even better if I made my favorite ice cream; chocolate chip cookie dough. So the giant-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-ice-cream-chocolate-chip-cookie-sandwich was born. And it was a good day. A very good day. Thank you Omaha Steaks for making all my ice cream sandwich dreams come true.
- ¼ cup butter - softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg – pasturized (or ¼ cup egg beaters)
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 4 oz cream cheese – softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups cream
- In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and both sugars.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Add in the egg and flour until fully combined.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Take about ¼ to ½ tsp of dough at a time and roll into small balls.
- Continue until dough is gone or until you’ve reached the amount of cookie dough you would like in your ice cream.
- Place small dough balls on a pan or plate and place in the freezer for 20 minutes or until ready to add to ice cream.
- In a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and sugar until combined.
- Add the vanilla and salt.
- Slowly add the half & half and cream.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream machine.
- Churn for about 20 minutes.
- At the end of the 20 minutes, add the frozen cookie dough pieces to the dough.
- Churn for 3-5 more minutes.
- Place 4 Omaha Steaks chocolate chip cookies, flat side up, on a cookie sheet.
- Divide the ice cream evenly between the four cookies and spread ice cream on each cookie.
- Cover the ice cream with the other four cookies to form a sandwich.
- Place the pan of ice cream sandwiches into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- *To make extra thick ice cream sandwiches, use only 4 cookies (2 sandwiches) instead of 8 cookies (4 sandwiches).
Did you like this post? Join The DIY Foodie and many others in their journey of learning how to cook! We are excited to have you.
Success! Check your email now to confirm your subscription.