This soup is full of wonderful spices, shredded chicken, corn tortillas and topped with sour cream, fresh cilantro and tortilla chips.
Difficulty: Level 1 (easy peasy)
Hands On Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 65 minutes Servings: 6-8
Guess. What. I used to be so scared of making soup.
Until this year. I didn’t realize how EASY soups were! For some reason when I thought to myself that I should make soup, I chickened out. I felt like there were sooo many ingredients and so many things that could go wrong with making soup. Finally one day I made my first ever soup. And it was SO. EASY.
So if you have also been scared of soup, please don’t be. I’m here to tell you that it is one of the most simple week night meals you can make.
I’m pretty sure I could eat this Chicken Tortilla Soup EVERY DAY. And I’m realllly not kidding. I love this soup so so so so much. And the toppings? Makes the soup FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper (add more for a spicier soup!)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 chicken breasts
- 12 corn tortillas
- Sour cream, cilantro, avocados and tortilla chips for toppings
- In a large quart pan, place the onion, cilantro, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, and all spices. Mix.
- Turn on medium-high heat and add in the chicken breasts. Simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Shred the tortillas into bite size pieces and add them to the soup. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, cheese, avocado and tortilla chips.
Did you like this post? Join The DIY Foodie and many others in their journey of learning how to cook! We are excited to have you.
Success! Check your email now to confirm your subscription.