There are some mornings where I wake up completely craving coffee cake. Good thing I have this chocolate chip crumble coffee cake recipe on hand!
Difficulty: Level 1 (easy peasy)
Hands On Time: 15 min Cook Time: 45 min Total Time: 60 min Servings: 4
I am a coffee cake FANATIC. Especially when it has a crumbly topping. And especially when that crumbly topping has chocolate chips. Whenever I see that option at a bakery…I can’t resist. It is like pure happiness. And I totally love that “coffee cake” is a key word for “it’s okay to eat cake for breakfast” and people can’t judge because coffee cake is totally a breakfast food. So on those mornings I wake up craving coffee cake (and yes, that does happen) I go right to this Chocolate Chip Crumble Coffee Cake and it start my day off really, really well.
This is a combination of mine and my dads favorite coffee cakes. I love a dense, chocolate chip filled coffee cake, and my dad loves a light and fluffy cake with a crumbly topping. So. This is the best of both worlds.
Chocolate Chip Crumble Coffee Cake
For The Cake
- 1/2 cup flour
- ½ cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
For The Topping
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup butter cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the cake until smooth.
- Pour into a greased or lined loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, use a fork or pastry blender to mix together the ingredients for the topping until it gets crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping onto the coffee cake batter and bake for 45 minutes.