you can’t go wrong with a ball of cheese.
Right?! Who doesn’t love cheese. Let’s be real. This classic onion cheeseball doesn’t disappoint either.
I didn’t realized that this isn’t a super well known concept until a year or so ago! When my California born side of the family was like “huh? What’s a cheeseball? That looks weird…”. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. They had never partaken in this grand game day and holiday appetizer?! It’s one of my favorite things so I am now on a mission to make sure it is a well known appetizer. Because really, you can’t go wrong with a big ball of cheese in this onion cheeseball.
classic cheeseball flavors.
This is a pretty traditional cheeseball, flavored with green onions and garlic powder. It has a cream cheese base, stuffed with shredded cheddar cheese, and just the right amount of green onion and garlic powder. It’s covered in sliced almonds because that gives it a nice play on texture. If you’ve never had a cheeseball before, you need this is your life. I promise. It’s so much prettier than any dip you can serve. It’s a definite (and delicious) conversation starter.
This really is one of my favorite appetizers. It’s fantastic during football season because finger foods are a must, and cheese & crackers…well it just works with football. This appetizer can also carry over into the holiday season. Because it looks so pretty, it can easily pass as a fancy appetizer at your work holiday party. But yet it can be the centerpiece for tailgating?! Yeah. It’s a pretty awesome and versatile appetizer. You will definitely want to add it to your arsenal.
Classic Onion Cheeseball
- 16 oz Cream Cheese softened
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 cup Sliced Almonds
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients except for the sliced almonds until well combined. Form roughly into a ball shape.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Pour ⅓ of the almonds onto the middle of the plastic wrap.
- Dump out the cheeseball onto the pile of almonds.
- Pour another ⅓ of almonds on top of the cheeseball, and spread the remaining ⅓ onto the sides of the cheeseball.
- Wrap up the cheeseball with the plastic wrap and help make it into a ball shape.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving.