Perfectly Creamy Macaroni and Cheese made on the stove top. Welcome fall, I’ve missed you.
Difficulty: Level 2 (totally doable)
Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4-6
It is finally September and I could not be more excited! Hands down this is my most favorite time of year. Cooler weather, football season, pumpkin recipes, apple cider, fall candles, cute clothes, cozy blankets, hot chocolate…it just makes me giddy! You better believe that as soon as Sept 1. hits the calendar, alllll the fall recipes are coming out. Sorry if you’re not a pumpkin person, but get ready for pumpkin overload.
But I won’t get into the pumpkin quite yet. Today, we’re kicking off fall with some perfectly Creamy Macaroni and Cheese! The secret to the perfectly creamy texture is to SLOWLY melt the cheese into the base sauce. If it melts too quickly it turns grainy. So be patient, and you will have the best mac & cheese of your life! Adding in a little smoky cheddar cheese just takes this mac & cheese to an entirely new level. You’ll definitely want to try it out. So enjoy all these fall comfort foods, because fall goes way to fast.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup onion - chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 oz cheddar cheese - freshly shredded
- 4 oz smoky cheddar cheese - freshly shredded
- ½ lb cooked pasta shells or elbow macaroni
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Add in the onions and saute 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and let cook for 3 minutes until it starts to turn golden.
- Whisk in the half and half, cream, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5-8 minutes until it starts to turn thick.
- Remove from heat and let cool 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cheese a handful at a time, letting it melt before you start mixing it. This ensures a smooth cheese sauce texture.
- Repeat step above until cheese has all been used.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta and serve immediately.
- Melting the cheese into the sauce slowly creates a smooth texture. If the cheese melts too fast, it separates, creating a grainy cheese sauce texture.
- You can substitute the smoky cheese for regular cheddar cheese if you would like. But I promise, the smoky cheese adds such an amazing flavor!