Pesto? What is pesto…?
This jarred sauce tastes like a freshly blended herb garden. Which it kind of is…herbs, garlic, and nuts! My favorite part about it? No other seasonings are needed! You can use pesto to add flavor to a sandwich, top some freshly made pasta, or add pizazz to boring chicken.
If your feeling adventurous, try this homemade basil pesto! But if you’re on a time crunch, jarred pesto works perfect in a pinch. You can find some pesto brands next to the pasta sauces in your grocery store, and you can find other brands in the refrigerated section next to fresh pasta. Try a couple and see which one is your favorite! My personal recommendation – basil pesto by Buitoni.
My chicken is always dry!
If your chicken seems a little dry, there are a couple of things you can try:
- Adjust the cooking time. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees, but if it’s cooked to a higher temperature, you risk dry chicken! Use a thermometer, like this digital meat thermometer, to monitor your chicken temperature.
- Let the chicken “rest” for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it. What does “rest” mean? It simply means leave it, don’t touch it. If you cut chicken right when it’s done, those precious juices run out of the chicken and leave it dry. If you let it rest, the juices get soaked back into the chicken for tender, juicy chicken.
Adjusting the flavors
If you don’t get this recipe perfect the first time you make it, that is a-okay. Don’t give up on it yet!
Bland Pesto: If you don’t love the pesto flavor, try a different kind! There are many different brands and flavors of pesto. You can even try your hand at homemade pesto and add your own favorite flavors.
The Parm: You can totally adjust how much or how little cheese you want on this dish. You can even forget it all together! I promise, I won’t judge. If the cheese is a little overcooked for you, you can add the cheese onto the chicken in the last 10 minutes so it’s just lightly melted.
Easy 3 Ingredient Pesto Chicken
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 6-8 oz Pesto
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- Spread a spoonful of pesto over each side of the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is done.