A Pavlova, or Schaum Torte, is a light layered dessert with merengue, vanilla whipped cream and fresh raspberries. Also, a big thank you to Driscoll’s Berries for providing these gorgeous raspberries as part of their #pictureperfectplate campaign
Difficulty: Level 1 (easy peasy)
Hands on Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 60 mins Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins Servings: 4-6
You are probably wondering what a raspberry pavlova is. I know I was because I grew up calling this dessert a Schaum Torte, and then I learned that most people around here call it a pavlova. A variation of this recipe was made by my grandmother. She got this recipe from a famous German chef who owned a restaurant here in Utah. This was one of the desserts I looked forward to my grandmother making! I loved it so much because…raspberries.
Raspberries. You are my love. Sometimes I feel like I’m cheating on chocolate with how much I feel I really love raspberries. Especially when the summer months come around and there are deliciously fresh berries everwhere. Whipped cream + raspberries. I feel like I could eat it all the friggin day long because it is so light and so delicious and spoonful after spoonful I shovel it into my mouth.
- 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp corn starch
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 6 oz fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg white for 3-5 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
- With the mixer going, slowly add the cream of tartar, corn starch and sugar into the egg white.
- Add the vanilla and mix until all ingredients have been mixed in thoroughly.
- On a lined baking sheet, spread the merengue mixture into 2-4 inch circles (depending on how big you want them and how many you want to make) and ½ inch thick. With a spoon, indent the middle of the pavlova circles to form a nice nest for the whipped cream.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes - until you just see it browning.
- Remove the merengue and let it cool completely.
- Divide the whipped cream evenly over the cooled merengue circles and top with fresh raspberries.