This cinnamon roll fills an ENTIRE cast iron skillet. And then you top it with cream cheese frosting. Life is good.
Difficulty: Level 3 (you can do it)
Hands On Time: 30 minute Cook Time: 35 minutes Rise Time: 60 minutes Total Time: 2 hrs 5 minutes
It’s been a long week. So. Take a break. Get in your sweatpants. Grab a fluffy blanket. A slice of a giant-gooey-melty-warm-cinnamon-roll. And then watch your favorite show. Then we’ll talk about this skillet cinnamon roll.
This deliciously giant skillet sweet roll. Doesn’t everything sound better if it’s in a skillet? Like these skillet nachos. OMG skillet nachos how I love you. Skillet sweet roll for breakfast, skillet nachos for dinner, skillet s’mores for dessert. Done. I just came up with my dinner menu for the week.
Anyway. This cinnamon roll. Topped with THIS cream cheese frosting. It’s the best.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter - room temperature
- Place yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and egg yolk.
- Add the flour and salt.
- Knead dough for 10 minutes; knead by hand or with the dough attachment of a kitchen aid mixer.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let raise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix both sugars and the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a floured surface, turn out dough.
- Roll out dough into a large rectangle until about ⅛ - ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the room temperature butter on the dough.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on the butter.
- Cut dough into 2 inch strips - the short ways.
- Roll one strip to form the middle of a cinnamon roll; place in a well oiled and floured cast iron skillet.
- Take each strip of dough and wrap around the center piece in the skillet.
- Continue to wrap until all the dough is gone and you have a nice giant cinnamon roll.
- Place skillet containing the cinnamon roll into the preheated 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Spread with your favorite cream cheese frosting.