This cinnamon roll fills an ENTIRE cast iron skillet. And then you top it with cream cheese frosting. Life is good.
Difficulty: Level 3 (you can do it)
Hands On Time: 30 minute Cook Time: 35 minutes Rise Time: 60 minutes Total Time: 2 hrs 5 minutes
It’s been a long week. So. Take a break. Get in your sweatpants. Grab a fluffy blanket. A slice of a giant-gooey-melty-warm-cinnamon-roll. And then watch your favorite show. Then we’ll talk about this skillet cinnamon roll.
This deliciously giant skillet sweet roll. Doesn’t everything sound better if it’s in a skillet? Like these skillet nachos. OMG skillet nachos how I love you. Skillet sweet roll for breakfast, skillet nachos for dinner, skillet s’mores for dessert. Done. I just came up with my dinner menu for the week.
Anyway. This cinnamon roll. Topped with THIS cream cheese frosting. It’s the best.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter - room temperature
- Place yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and egg yolk.
- Add the flour and salt.
- Knead dough for 10 minutes; knead by hand or with the dough attachment of a kitchen aid mixer.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let raise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix both sugars and the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a floured surface, turn out dough.
- Roll out dough into a large rectangle until about ⅛ - ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the room temperature butter on the dough.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on the butter.
- Cut dough into 2 inch strips - the short ways.
- Roll one strip to form the middle of a cinnamon roll; place in a well oiled and floured cast iron skillet.
- Take each strip of dough and wrap around the center piece in the skillet.
- Continue to wrap until all the dough is gone and you have a nice giant cinnamon roll.
- Place skillet containing the cinnamon roll into the preheated 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Spread with your favorite cream cheese frosting.
Did you like this post? Join The DIY Foodie and many others in their journey of learning how to cook! We are excited to have you.
Success! Check your email now to confirm your subscription.